
In this week’s assignment I had to create a lesson plan using either an online learning module, MUVE, or online gaming as well as look at grant resources and how to influence the adoption of these technologies in my school district.
I enjoyed every aspect of this lesson and learned so much. There was not enough time to thoroughly investigate all the MUVE’s, introduced ( River City, Quest Atlantis and Second Life to mention a few), and I am so happy that this course was done so close to the summer break. It gives me so much to work on and become proficient in before I can introduce it to my students. Despite the fact that I work amongst many veteran teachers in my building and this is my second year, I will not have much success with influencing them to try these new technologies, some have already stated that they are just going to stick to the traditional way of teaching, text book and paper assignments. I will however begin my own pilot program introducing different online activities using the tools gained from this and my other lessons, working with my students as I did last year and hopefully, their success, will filter over into the other classes and maybe the teachers will want to know and learn some of the awesome activities that have my kids engaged in learning.
This class and all my other classes have really opened my eyes to the possibilities of using technology in the classroom. It is no longer just about using power points to present lessons but the use of web-based course management systems, online learning modules, and MUVE’s would certainly energize learning and help students to tap into learning activities that they are familiar with.
To be an effective change agent in learning I must create lessons that result in:
· Democratization of knowledge where the internet is used not only to gain knowledge, but to reinforce what students may already know.
· Participatory Learning, where student are able to collaborate with their peers not just in the class, but in other states as well as they investigate different principles and respond to each others postings.
· Authentic Learning, where lessons are designed to provide real life learning situations. Some of these new web 2.0 tools like online gaming, or MUVE’s can provide these authentic learning environments for our students.
· Multimodal Learning; gone are the days where the teacher is the primary source of learning and all knowledge rests with him or her. Teachers now have access to multiple ways of teaching the same content to our students, in so doing tapping into all or most of the learning styles of all our students.
Yes my work is certainly cut out for me, however I intend not to overwhelm myself or my students by trying to accomplish too much too soon. I intend to move into each area gradually as I research the new tools and at the same time ensure that what I have planned correlates with the state standards for that content. One thing is sure I will enjoy just working it out and putting it all together.
Reference
Lemke, C., & Coughlin, E. (2009). The change agents. Educational Leadership,67(1), 54–59.
No comments:
Post a Comment